Sunday, April 22, 2012

Lazy Glazing Sunday

So I have several project that I'm getting to around the house. And since it's a rainy indoor spring day it made it the perfect day to work on a project. I picked an easy one to start with. It took about 10 minutes but the results were fantastic! I have an antique bed for Kate, I slept in the same bed when I was her age. It was old, brown and sorta blah. About two years ago I painted it a creamy color, it's livened up right away and is now very shabby chic. I love it now, but it was lacking something. The bed has amazing hand carved detailing in it, and the creamy white paint really masks it. My sister told me about a technique called "glazing", and she learned it from this blog. It really adds that finished touch to shabby chic furniture. Here are some before and after pictures. Oh, I have more glazing projects ahead, so be on the look out. I can't wait to show off a set of dressers I just picked up from a local antique store, along with a few other amazing treasures!

Here's before the glazing. See how white it is, and there is so much detailing but it sorta gets forgotten about. Glazing helps make the detail POP out.

And here's the foot board, glazed

The head board, before glazing. So pretty but....

Here's the same headboard after glazing it. I think it makes a huge difference.

The whole bed, painting it took about 3-4 days an hour each day. Glazing took 10-20 min. Love love love the results!

1 comment:

Jacobson Five said...

I'm with you, it has been so long, but I just started blogging again as well.