Sunday, August 2, 2009

Where do Cabbage Patch Kids Come From?

If you've always wanted to know where Cabbage Patch Kids come from you will want to read this blog.
While on vacation we headed to Cleveland, GA to check out the General Hospital where Cabbage Patch kids are born. They take it seriously here too, once you step in to this place the staff are dressed in scrubs and take the CPK's adoptions serious. There is even a screening process....I kid you not!
Kate had so much fun here, when you put a little girl in a building full of baby dolls you get one happy girl. She was definitely overwhelmed by all the stuff to look at. We told her she could pick out a baby to adopt but she didn't want anything she just wanted to look around or I should say run around.

One of the things they do is let you witness a CPK birth. Here is a video but let me explain, they have you gather around, the doctor then pulls a baby from the cabbage, gives it a spank, swaddles it and then allows the audience to name it. Oh and they do an ultrasound to find out if it's a girl or boy, this one is a girl. The video is sorta hard to watch so I wanted to explain.






The next video is the same newborn that was just born and they took her to the nursery to get weighed and make sure she is healthy. Oh in the video I say the baby is 12lbs, it was only 1.2lbs. Each of theses dolls are hand made so they all are a little different.





Here are a few pictures from the visit to the General Hospital. I would recommend this to any kid, boy or girl. It was a lot of fun.

Outside of the Hospital


A field of cabbage patch babies


Kate interrupting the Cabbage Patch Kid's Lunch


Guess which Cabbage Patch Kid we went home with? Even though she was crying we felt she was the perfect one for us!


Kate loving the Cabbage Patch Kid display, the one to the far lower left with the mickey mouse ears was the first one born, about 36 years ago, I can't remember his name

2 comments:

Katie said...

I don't know if I could have sat through the delivery without cracking up. I love the one of Lydia with the dolls. I feel like I am seeing Violet at that age. That is so funny Kate just wanted to look--a true shopper in the making.

Emily said...

LOL You told me all about this on the phone but the pics and post are even better. I was cracking up readin this and Justin kept asking me what I was laughing about.
I will definitely have to put the CPK's Factory/Hospital on my "To Do" list of things to see!!

I remember the drive to Oklahoma to visit Grandpa and somewhere in MO you come across the "Precious Moments Chapel" along with "Walnut Bowls Factory." More places I just have to see.

Oh, and that makes me think of the "World's Largest McDonalds" in Vinata, OK. I finally made it in one year! HOWEVER, to-date it is NO LONGER the World's Larges McD's!